• Wednesday, Oct 23, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:56 am

Fire guts Madaripur jute warehouse

  • Published at 03:18 am September 21st, 2019
WEB_Madaripur_Jute_Fire
The jute which was damaged by a fire iat Kalkini upazila in Madaripur on Friday, September 20, 2019 Dhaka Tribune

Businessman suffers loss of Tk13 lakh

A jute warehouse was gutted by a fire that broke out in Miarhat market of Kalikini upazila in Madaripur on Friday afternoon.

Police and Fire Service sources said the fire broke out when most of the salesmen had gone to offer their Jummah prayers.

As soon as locals spotted the fire, they informed the fire service. Assisted by locals, a fire fighting unit doused the fire in two hours.

Jute businessman Md Mofchher Khan said he suffered a loss of around Tk13 lakh as 700 maunds of his jute was burnt to ashes.

Madaripur fire service Sub-Officer Md Sirajul Islam said the fire might have started from an electric short circuit.