• Monday, Sep 16, 2019
  • Last Update : 10:27 am

Rifat murder: Court asks to press charges on Sept 3

  • Published at 11:43 pm August 22nd, 2019
Rifat Sharif-Barguna
File photo of Rifat Sharif Collected

The accused were produced before the court on Thursday

A court has asked to press charges in the Rifat Sharif murder case on September 3, after the investigation officer (IO) failed to submit a charge-sheet on the scheduled date.

Senior Judicial Magistrate Sirajul Islam Gazi fixed the date around 10am on Thursday.

All the accused of the case were produced before the court during the hearing, except Ratul Shikder who, being underage is currently in a safe home in Jessore.

The hearing of bail petition for accused Aryan Srabon, Kamrul Islam Saimoon and Sagor was suspended till the next date due to absence of the case docket, said the defense Lawyer Golam Mostafa Kader.

The IO of this case Barguna police station Inspector Humayun Kabir said: " The charge-sheet is still not ready, but hopefully it will be submitted on the next fixed date."

Rifat Sharif, 22, was attacked with sharp weapons near the main gate of Barguna Government College on June 26. Minni appeared to be trying to protect him during the attack.

Police have so far arrested 16 people over the murder. Besides, prime accused Sabbir Ahmed alias Nayan Bond was killed in a reported gunfight with law enforcers on July 2.

Police arrested Minni on July 16 over the murder of her husband and was denied bail several times. She reportedly confessed to her involvement in the murder before the court on July 19, three days after her arrest.

On July 31, Minni filed a petition with a Barguna court seeking withdrawal of her confessional statement over the murder.