• Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:35 pm

Road safety movement: 12 more students get bail, 13 released from jail

  • Published at 12:52 pm August 20th, 2018
WEB_students released on bail_road safety movement_Focus Bangla_Edited_20.08.2018.jpg
A student breaks down in tears in front of family members after getting released from prison on bail on Monday, August 20, 2018. Students were arrested on charge of vandalism during the recent student movement for road safety Focus Bangla

So far, 22 students have been released on bail

Several Dhaka courts have granted bail to 12 more private university students, who were arrested in a number cases filed over vandalism and attacks on police during and after the recent movement demanding safe roads.

A number of metropolitan magistrates, including AKM Mainuddin Siddiqui, passed the orders on Monday.

Aminul Ehsan, Saber Ahmed Ullash, Risalatul Ferdous and Md Baizid were some of these students who were accused in cases filed at the Bhatara and Badda police stations.

On Sunday, several courts granted bail to 40 students of different institutes.

Meanwhile, 13 more private university students, who were arrested in the aforementioned cases, were released from jail on Monday.

“We released nine students in the morning and four others in the afternoon,” said Senior Jail Superintendent Iqbal Kabir Chowdhury of the Dhaka Central Jail.

So far, 22 students, including the nine released on Sunday night, have been released from jail on bail.

Iqbal said the others who are in jail, will be released after he prison authorities receive their bail papers.

Also Read- Safe roads movement: 40 students get bail

Students of several private universities had clashed with police, earlier this month, while protesting against the attacks on school and college students in Dhaka during the latter’s movement for safe roads.

Many students were later arrested in separate cases filed at Badda, Bhatara, Dhanmondi, Uttara West, Ramna, New Market, Kotwali and Paltan police stations. They were also denied bail several times.

The countrywide student movement for road safety began when two college students were killed by a speeding bus on the capital’s Airport Road on July 29.

Outraged students of different educational institutions had continued their protests for a week, which was mostly peaceful.

However, violence marred the demonstrations on August 4 and 5 in Dhanmondi area when police and alleged activists of ruling party affiliate organizations got involved and clashed with the students, while swirling rumours, claims, and counter-claims on social media added fuel.

Protesting the attacks on the children, students of different public and private universities had then taken to streets, and subsequently either came under attack by unidentified men or clashed with police in the city’s Dhanmondi, Rampura and Bashundhara areas.